I recently came across a dog-eared piece of paper I’ve kept in my Bible for years. It’s been a bookmark and has weathered many a storm. It’s a prayer I found in a book once so I can’t take credit for it.
I’m 99% sure it’s by Max Lucado. The other 1% thinks it might be by John Eldredge. It is from John Eldredge and the book “Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man’s Soul” (Thanks MudPuppy). Either way, it’s a pretty strong way to start each morning. Sadly I’ve gotten away from using it. I think I found it just in time.
Here’s my challenge to all of you – let’s all commit to reading this prayer every morning for 30 straight days. 5 minutes in the morning for 30 days. Read it while you drink your coffee. Tape it to your treadmill. Put it on your mirror. Whatever it takes. 30 days. We’ll start September 1st. That gives you time to spread the word. Take a look at the prayer as you consider my challenge –
Lord I put on the belt of truth. I choose a lifestyle of honesty and integrity. Show me the truths I so desperately need today. Expose the lies I’m not even aware that I’m believing. And yes, Lord, I wear your righteousness today against all condemnation and corruption. Fit me with your holiness and purity – Defend me from all assaults against my heart. I do choose to live for the gospel at any moment. Show me where the larger story is unfolding and keep me from being so lax that I think the most important thing today is the soap operas of this world.
Jesus I lift against every lie and every assault the confidence that you are good, and that you have good in store for me. Nothing is coming today that can overcome me because you are with me. Thank you, Lord, for my salvation. I receive it in a new and fresh way from you and declare that nothing can separate me now from the love of Christ and the place I shall ever have in your kingdom.
Holy Spirit, show me specifically today the truths of the Word of God that I will need to counter the assaults of the snares of the Enemy. Bring them to mind throughout the day. Finally, Holy Spirit, I agree to walk in step with you in everything – in all prayer as my spirit communes with you throughout the day.
And all the people said……AMEN!
Who’ll join me in reading this prayer every day for the next 30 days? Let’s get this thing viral. Tweet it (#30DaysPrayer). Facebook it. Email it to your friends. Let’s get accountable and share this challenge with all we know. I’m not driving traffic, I’m looking to go to prayer war with a few friends. Imagine the impact on our daily lives, or families and our perspective if we commit to this prayer for 30 days straight. Let’s go!
Who’s with me?
Download The 30 Day Prayer (30DayPrayer)
The official hashtag we’re using on twitter is #30DaysPrayer